Monday, July 4, 2011

Wordpress.com vs. Blogger

If you are reading this post, probably you are aware last week I changed blogging platform: from wordpress.com to blogger.
I specified wordpress.com because there is also a wordpress.org but that's the carry-over-your-shoulders  platform.

The very first days I set up my blog, I found on the net a lot of useful plugins for wordpress, wonderful - I said - I tried to install some plugins or to search for the right option in .com, but unfortunately they was for the .org version (side note: dear reader, you have to know I'm a simple mind, I get lost immediately when I find something it's not crystal clear).
Finally I discovered the difference: .com is all-inclusive but restricted, .org is free as a bird but you've also to mount an ikea wardrobe.
I discarded the .org solution sure the .com version was downhill all the way.

Now, let see the "easy" way:

Wordpress.com Dashboard


In your personal wordpress.com dashboard there are: five items in the top bar and fourteen items in the admin bar on the left, i.e. nineteen first level items, but  if you expand every item there are many others links or buttons eager to be clicked.   G o s h.

Now let's go to the blogger dashboard

Blogger Dashboard


Six first level (tabbed) items, plus a "view blog" link

Why do you want to start a blog? Probably because you want to write something worth of and I say writing, not configuring or searching for the right option or whatever else. All other activities are needed but should be done with less hassle. Writing should be immediate!
I've to admit the settings tab in blogger is quite crowded and can be simplified, but almost all the default options are ok.

Good, that's enough but I'll tell you more in the next post.
See you.

Update: The second part of this post is here: Wordpress.com vs. Blogger II